Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sep 8

Plane right was uneventful, as most are. I just realized that I am going to be spending 2 out of two and a half nights on planes before my test. Bring it on.

We rented a car when we landed in Holland, only to fall asleep in a parking lot for three hours. Then we went to a cathedral in Amsterdam, ate some delicious bread (something we missed in uganda), and toured Cory Ten Boom's house. We walked around some scenic/quaint side streets before driving an hour to Rotterdam. We boarded the Painenkoekenboot, a two-story boat that serves all you can eat pancakes while cruising around the canals of Rotterdam. We missed the memo that the 1:30 trip would be specifically for children birthday parties, so we were surrounded by hoards of cute little dutch children. As they played games and danced we surveyed the landscape and stuffed ourselves with German-style pancakes.

Funny story: I asked one of the servers, "Can I get a picture of water? (as in a container of water). He responded, "Sure go upstairs." He had misunderstood me, thinking that I was asking him if I could take a photo of the Rotterdam bay. We laughed for about 5 minutes straight. Then we toured a magnificent park complete with artificial ponds and extremely abstract modern art.

Next we went to The Hage, the political center of the Netherlands. We toured the royal palace and its magnificent gardens. We saw two cathedrals and walked through more european-esque side streets.

That was the day. Somewhere in there we went to see some old windmills and canals. I went the entire day without someone greeting me! Night and day from Uganda. I better go catch some zzz's, we leave bright and early (or dark and early?) at 4 in the morning. My next post will be made at home! See you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment