Monday, September 6, 2010

Sep 6

What an amazing day. I'm absolutely exhausted, so I am hoping what I write will be semi-coherent.

I felt I should bring Moses to help me teacher- weird because he has no background in health. Turns out he opened many doors. He teaches Bible stories once a week to the primary schools in this area, so he knows the teachers and head masters. He worked his magic and we taught at different schools for about 5 hours, with as little as ten minutes notice. Moses was an excellent actor and the kids loved him. I am so grateful I asked him to help me!

We gave stickers to the little kids who answered questions and even showed some of them pictures from America on my lap top. They were enthralled. Everyone was calling me "Doctor Eric" and thinking that I knew the answer to every question they asked. This translated to some excruciating questions. I was definitely blessed to find a way to answer all of their inquiries. Some of the teachers told me that I am welcome to continue teaching in their classrooms when I return, which I hope will pan out. I am teaching 400 more students tomorrow!

One quick experience from teaching: I was teaching about first aid for brain
injury and concussions, specifically the need to provide liquids to drink. One of the boys asked, "I heard we should give beer to dull the pain, is that right?" I got to indirectly bare my testimony to him and the entire class, warning of the dangers of alcohol. I detailed all of its negative effects on the body and finished by saying that most importantly, alcohol addicts, destroying lives. I feel so blessed to have the truth of the gospel and the freedom that its high standards bring!

PS: Uganda has one of the highest alcoholism rates in Africa.

It's sad that only at the end of this trip have I finally lined up service opportunities, when I won't be able to use them until January. I have 4 NGO's (rural development, AIDS, single mothers, and health education) and many schools to teach at when I return. I can barely wait to get super involved in serving with these organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment