Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sep 2


We woke up early and traveled for 7 hours to a national park right on the Congo border.  I studied for my PdBio 120 pretest for about four hours (I am trying to test out of a class) and slept for the rest.  Our driver bought us some heavenly passion fruit, some of the best fruit I have ever tasted.  After driving for 4ish hours through the jungle, we scaled a mountain range and dropped into an arid savanna.  Within 15 miles the lush forests evaporated!  That was a shock.  
 I am still getting over the roads here.  Main roads are riddled with potholes and extremely narrow, forcing drivers to weave at high speeds only a couple feet from markets filled with people.  Many times I was forced to look at my feet/read a book to distract myself from the dangerous situation.
Anyway, we arrived safely in Queen Elisabeth Park.  For about 3 hours we drove around the reserve, seeing antelopes, waterbucks, warthogs, elephants, and water buffalo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment