Monday, August 16, 2010

Sunday Aug 15

Today we had a great time at church.  Their priest quorum is AWESOME!!!  Some of the best people in the world are in that group, no joke.  We are walking about 1.6 miles to church one way, but that makes our meetings all the more spiritual.  Great people.  We were asked to bear our testimonies in sacrament meeting and I hope the congregation understood me, because we all struggle to understand them.  Sometimes their accents are so thick you aren't sure whether they are speaking English or Luganda.  People say we "look smart" when we are dressed in white shirts because that is an expression denoting that you look "sharp."  Funny.  Probably because the people who have the means to dress like us are those that are educated. New goal: bear testimony entirely in Luganda.  I'm on my way.  I now know how to say, "this is the church of God" in Luganda. 

Anyway, we are going to FHE at the church tomorrow which is apparently a big party with fun and games.  I'm pretty excited.  Luganda is the most dialectual languages ever.  Depending on where people are from in the area, you will get different pronunciations.  I won't be able to train for a marathon as I had hoped because the air here is junk (everyone burns firewood for cooking).  I'm still trying to get over that. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I still remember trying to adjust to tell people that they look smart.

    ReplyDelete