Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Aug 31

I had a great day today.  This morning I ran to the other side of Mukono to talk to the head of an NGO that serves isolated villages that are on islands in Lake Victoria.  I have been twice to his office and he keeps telling me to come back later.  This sums up my experience trying to get involved with non-profit organizations, it's difficult to get any commitments.  After nearly getting ran over by a boda boda, I went on a walk with Jeremy, our new neighbor and a law student from the University of Georgia doing research here.  He's super interested in East African politics and has told me a lot about the conflicts Uganda and it's neighbors are faces.  On our walk to downtown, Jeremy and I swapped spiritual experiences/favorite scriptures, which was awesome.  I loved learning about his Methodist faith and the strength it has given him.  After we went to the canteen (super cheap restaurant/cafeteria) and then went to the children's library.  I fixed bookshelves and read to kids (mostly Mckay) for a couple hours.  Then me and dad went on splits with the elders.  Dad got to set up a baptismal date with a truly amazing investigator and I traversed two valleys over to a house where the investigator wasn't home.  It was fun contacting and learning from the examples of the amazing elders.  In total I walked into town three times (almost two miles both ways) and probably two or three more with the elders.     

No comments:

Post a Comment