Sunday, August 22, 2010

Aug 22

The last three days have been amazing!


On Saturday we had a "Mormon Helping Hands Day."  All of the church membership in Africa united to serve through community projects.  We cleaned up an orphanage in the neighboring town.  All 23 people that showed up crammed into a taxi that was meant to fit fifteen (in America it would have been 10 or so) and sang hymns.  I got to cut the grass of the orphanage with these machete-like things that Ugandans use for trimming grass.  We also got to give the children one of the soccer balls we brought to donate. 

While serving I talked to three different refugees from the Rwanda genocide in 1994.  Although all lost love ones, I was amazed at a guy named Douglas's story.  He lost 8 brothers, 4 sisters, and a mom.  I can't even imagine the heartache he must feel when he remembers his past. 

Everyone I talk to wants to come to America.  My response: I like Uganda better.  They are shocked when I tell them that no one greets strangers in America, something that is common place here. 

No one I invited to church showed up.  It was sad.

Anyway, that's what's up in Uganda.

Eric

2 comments:

  1. Eric! It sounds so amazing over there! Thanks for creating this blog, I love hearing about all your experiences! You'll have to teach me the language when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can clearly remember the hours and hours I slaved away on mission service projects cutting lawns with slashers. It takes forever! But I think it's kind of fun. When I got bored, I used to hit mangoes and guavas with them like golf balls.

    As for inviting people to church, we used to invite at least 140 people to church every week. They all said the would come, but we were lucky if even one showed up. African culture I guess. Don't get disappointed, you're planting seeds, and the more they hear about the church, the more likely the are to investigate in the future. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete