Friday, August 27, 2010

Aug 27

We went on two trips in the last week; one to Ssisegwa falls and the other to Jinja/Bujagali/Mbira.  Both are touristy areas east of Mukono.  Pretty fun, not much to talk about though.  I did add some pictures on facebook.

It's sad how much people label whites with having a lot of money.  Tourist locations here receive little attention from Europe/US so when a foreigner does come, everyone is on their toes trying to get their fair share of our money.  There literally is a "white" price and a "black" price on everything.  Paul, a friend from the ward, was telling us that he would spend no more than one half of what we paid to go to Jinja, and we thought we were getting a good deal. We have had similar experiences at the fruit market, although I have found that speaking Luganda lowers the price significantly.  Still amazingly cheap though.  Pineapples the size of a football cost around 50 cents.

There's an interesting paradox I have been noticing lately: Ugandans don't care about money.  You would think that citizens of a third world nation would be ones scrimping for every penny, but then you would be wrong.  In fact, I had a friend tell me I worry too much about money.  Interesting, huh? 

When I told someone that I was poor in Luganda, they corrected me.  Apparently that phrase literally means "I have nothing," unlike our phrase which means I have a little.  I love how their language reflects their culture!  It's pretty simply and is spoken languidly (something I need to work on).  I also love how day to day people are here.  No one plans ahead.  No one even asks what time it is.  Time just kinda flows and when you do make commitments they usually fall through.  I'm loving it.

Unlike Americans, Ugandans are unashamed to classify you by skin color.  Saying "Hey white person" is not offensive (although Mckay is still irritated by it).  In fact little kids love yelling "Mzungu, mzungu" when ever we pass.  An white elder from South Africa said his favorite response is "Nwenda kolya" or "I am going to eat you."  Unfortunately my dad has prohibited us from using it.  When kids say "your white" I am going to start saying, "and Jesus still loves me!"

On our second trip we went to a dinky village isolated in the middle of a rain forest.  Everyone was living off the land in housing made of mud, sticks, and straw.  That was shocking.  While on the subject of shocking, this week I went to an investigators house.  He shared 64 square feet with his brother and was extremely proud of his situation.  Most Americans live in what? 2000 to 3000 square feet?

Spiritual experience:  I was struggling to make headway in my studies this last week when I realized that I had been reading the scriptures after finishing my school work, usually when I was exhausted and ready to hit the sack.  I changed my ways, waking up an hour earlier to read the Book or Mormon.  What a difference!  I am able to focus better and life has run more smoothly.  I know that when we put God first in our lives, we will see the positive consequences.

We recently found that the on-campus cafe sells heaping plates of food for only a dollar; even I struggle to finish their lunches.  The local food they serve is extremely filling, although nearly void of taste.  I might hit my "freshman fifteen" before stepping foot on campus as a freshman!



Anyway, that's about all I can write about for now.  I should add that starting Monday I am going to writing on this daily.  I have a class requiring daily journal writing, and I think a blog counts.


Have a fun weekend!


Eric Reuben Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment