Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 8th

I have decided that we don't fully acknowledge how blessed we are to live in America. I think the media tries to convince us that our politicians have failed and that our country is in shambles. I wish I could take one of these cynical broadcasters to Uganda for a month. America is free from the widespread corruption that is currently crippling Uganda. America has a constitution that makes an oppressive dictatorship an impossibility. America has a dynamic social hierarchy, meaning that, by in large, there is hope for all to become what they want to be. America has an education system that values critical thinking, rather than wrote memorization. America seems to be perpetually devoid of internal violence. And most impressively, America is actively striving to give these same advantages to the rest of the world, expecting nothing in return.

You hear people complaining about the lack of jobs in the states, try coming here. If you do a post-doc in America in just about anything, you're job is pretty much secured. Here, nothing guarantees anything. You hear people whining about Medicare/Medicaid. I'll admit, these programs need reform, think about them compared to most of the world. What happens when you have nothing and contract cerebral malaria (extremely fatal)? What happens when you're 55 and all of your children have died, leaving you unable to support yourself? Of course friends will probably be there for you, but what happens when you don't even have any of those? In both instances, an early death is just about inevitable.

Guys, I love America. Here the word America means so much more than being filthy rich; it is synonymous with hope. We may never realize how truly magnificent our nation has become. So next time someone pessimistically alludes to the future of our nation, do me a favor and set them straight. America has a future just as bright as it's past, and that's saying something.

So now you are probably wondering what inspired this patriotic rant. Today our family went to some parental support meetings in the villages. During the meetings I looked around the room into the faces of mainly single mothers in attendance. Their faces told the story of a people suffering things I, or any other American for that manner, would probably never understand.

Hey I'm really sorry if you think this blog is turning into an emotionally driven sob story. I'm kinda recording everything I'm feeling, and no doubt that makes for a taxing read.

As I already said, I am ecstatic for the trip to the islands and am excited to see some more of this country. Thanks for your support!
-Eric Reuben Smith

2 comments:

  1. Well stated. I could hear the patriotic music playing in the background and see a giant American flag flapping in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Eric- I really enjoyed reading your blog postings. You have stated yourself very well. I remember eons of years ago while on a BYU Study Abroad to England and Israel I truly came to appreciate America and proud to be an American.
    Please tell your tell your Mother "Aloha" from me. She and I knew each other in our BYU days! When I received your family's christmas card/newsletter I thought what a great opportunity for you and your family to be living in Uganda. Keep on writing! Aloha, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete