Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 6th

So my sister was in a young women's lesson today about the importance of hobbies. The teacher asked everyone their hobbies and then invited them to teach them to the rest of the class. One visitor from America said she liked horse back riding. They don't have horses in Uganda. "Well maybe you can teach us to ride goats or pigs," replied the teacher.

You know that unique feeling you get when you are camping and cooking food over open fires? That's every meal for most Ugandan's. Anyway, that was how I felt at our Young Single Adults social yesterday. We started a fire in the back of the church and cooked food for something like 4 hours. Then we played a girls vs. boys basketball game (so foreign to Ugandan culture). Good times.

I've finally noticed that people are extremely careful about keeping their clothes clean. I wanted to arm wrestle this guy on the ground, but he didn't want to lay down. Reason: everything is washed by hand and from what I hear doesn't last as long.

I had a remarkable talk with a buddy named Keith. We chatted on our porch for a while. The awesome thing was that there was tons of silence and it wasn't awkward. We just kinda sat there looking at monkeys jump around our front yard and thought.

Mom thinks I may get to shadow a OBGYN that lives close by. Luckily Uganda doesn't have the same restrictions that America has and I would definitely get to see multiple births. Sounds awesome! She told me about some lady she ran into that was denied access to a hospital because she couldn't pay the 2 bucks to be admitted. She was dilated to a 10. Anyway, I'm really hoping I could shadow that lady.

I need to start thinking up more I can write about; life is extremely slow. Mostly I just read mission prep/novels and hang out with the family. However, my next post should be a little more action packed as I am going on two trips in the next 3 days to villages.

1 comment:

  1. Eric, are you asking for suggestions of subject matter? I am curious about the food your family is eating. Your mom suggested that she rotates 3 meals daily. What are they?
    Love the fact that you may get to shadow an OBGYN. So many ways to be of service and learn how to help those in need. I am a lactation consultant. I help moms learn to breastfeed their babies. In Uganda I would think that not breastfeeding would be life threatening. With all the insidence of AIDS, in the community you live and in the culture you see are babies breastfeeding? I would think it would be "Normal".
    I remember that at the beginning of our travels it felt that time stood still due to the culture shock. 2 weeks felt like 2 months. Do you feel that the shock was less when you returned with your family?
    I would love to know what kind of animals are normal to observe out your front door. Monkey? More?
    What can I do far away to make a difference? Does the Perpetual Education exist in your community? Does my monthly donation really make a difference? Can I drop ship medical supplies? Anything I can do to help and support fellow Brothers and Sister living in a land so far away and so very different that the privlidge I am spoiled by? Love to you and yours, Sister DuBray

    ReplyDelete