Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 16th

It's funny. You come to a third world nation and people want to make use of your technical skills; you end up spending lots of time on a computer.

Our family is doing swell. The kids are adjusting to their international school. Cariel took a tally, counting the number of swear words she heard her first day of school. It was something like 200 more than she would have liked it. Liza made a heroic stand against a teacher showing a sketchy movie. However, Mckay is digging his Thursday schedule: art, cooking, swimming, and a club. The US government is paying 25 grand (sorry for the tax money everybody!) for our family to attend this school for 4 months, so you better believe the kids there are extremely rich. However it's amazingly diverse. Sixty different nations represented in a high school of about that many students. I'm excited to volunteer there on Monday because apparently the campus is absolutely breath-taking.

Yesterday we had a farewell party for Douglas Kagame, who is heading to serve as a local missionary in Iganga. Here the church has people who are waiting on passports/visas serve in the Kampala mission. We made our attempt at Ugandan food, which was pretty successful. Mom was pretty skeptical of the meat we bought on the side of the road, but the wardies assured it was safe. Anyway, the guy shared his powerful testimony of the gospel. We sang some God Be With You Till We Meet Again. The sad thing was that for me that won't be for a while. Anyway, I was ready to hit Brazil right then and there. That visa...

I have loved C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. I love the way he weaves analogies into deep theology. It reminds me an old book on teaching by Packer I read recently. That's what I want to master! Teaching with analogies. One time I was teaching this girl with the missionaries and I told her than many pure and simply truths in the Bible were lost through it's many translations. I tried to explain that it was like pure water which is contaminated by the views of others. Let's just say that didn't go over well.

One quote I liked from the book:
"You cannot make men good by the law: and without good men you cannot have a good society."

I have been playing a lot of tennis lately and have officially decided it's a great sport. The university has two packed sand courts that make for some interesting bounces every once in a while. My dad's going down tomorrow.

My mom wants the computer right now so I'm closing this semi-pointless post. Lots to look forward too! Brazi here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment